A small village school’s needs are very basic. Normally students don’t even have a pencil or copy to write on and a bag, school uniform, mats for sitting etc. are distant dreams. Scores of children leave schools for unimaginably petty reasons like lack of a water bottle or inability of parents to pay the recurring expense of a note book.
On the other hand children in urban India have abundance of everything.. stationery, books, games, toys, shoes, tiffin boxes, uniforms.. the list goes on.. Every year when we go to the next class we discard most things from last year and buy a new set. The still usable school material is discarded for new.. Can this instead still make another child’s education meaningful? Can this help address some of the challenges that village school children face in pursuing learning?
What we do
Goonj’s award winning School to School initiative is addressing the educational needs of thousands of remote & resource starved village/ slum schools by channelizing under-utilised material of city’s affluent schools not as a thing to distribute but as a tool to bring about comprehensive behaviour change in the recipients and the contributors!
Here are 5 simple things you can do to make it happen..
- Pack your unwanted school material (remember – it needs to be useful for someone) for someone who needs it more than you.
- Initiate a campaign in any 10 schools you like.
- Encourage corporate, schools, institutions to take up focused school material collection pan- India
- Make a stationery kit comprising of 10 pencils, erasers, scale, pens , colors; pack it with your love and care …
- Sponsor a handmade ‘School Kit’ that is made out of colorful array of waste material, but has all the essential items like a school bag, bottle cover, pencil pouch etc.. that travels with children in the villages like their special companions.. Click here Connect Urban & Rural Schools to sponsor these school kits.